Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thursday October 20th Multidisciplinary Team

Jim and I went to LDSH to the Cancer Clinic to meet with the multidisciplinary team.  This is somewhat like 'one stop shopping" for cancer.  New cases are reviewed at 0700, then all us lucky folk have an appt. to meet with the MD team for their recommendations and to help us navigate thru this experience that we did not sign up for.
My appt. was @ 0830. After donning a cute little camisole that Velcros up the front, we began a 3 hour session in which we met with 8 different individuals who explained their role and helped answer questions.  Let's see, there was a surgeon, who explained quite well surgery options, he also suggested I consider preventative mastectomy on the left side as well.  He answered the bulk of my questions.  We also met with a oncology radiologist, a chemo doctor, a nutritionist, a nurse practitioner, a representative from the American Cancer Society, a occupational therapist that specializes in lymphedema, a social worker & a geneticist.  I left the clinic with 2 binders full of information and a MRI scheduled for next Tuesday morning.    I was a bit overwhelmed and tired, but I still had to go to work.   Jim took me out for some lunch at Grape Vine for a salad. 
I really can't even remember all that was said.
I remember the drawings that the surgeon did. That he told us the pathologist said the tumor had negative receptor cells for estrogen and progesterone, which is not normally good, but since it is non-invasive I believe this to be moot.  When the calcifications are biopsied this will be more important should there be cancer.  He also explained why my calcifications were significant, the fact that it is large and came on suddenly and that the tumor was high grade, puts me in a higher risk category, but he could not give me a percentage.   Normally microcalcifications are found to be cancerous 20% of the time.  Not sure what this means for me.   I have chosen to stick with the 20% of the time.

The radiologist said that radiation rx is 5 days per week for 5 weeks should I need it.   Most common side affect is redness at the radiated site, fatigue and a small % get a pneumnitis.  I thanked him for his time and told him I would not be needing his services.
I can't remember what the chemo guy said.   The nutrionist said to eat a lot of protein & fiber and to not mega dose on fish oil.  I could take as much Vitamin C as I wanted.

I knew two of the 8 individuals which is always interesting to me.    The NP is actually a CNM that I work with in L&D.     The woman from the American Cancer Society is a gal that I see at the Fitness Center all the time.   She is usually just getting out of the shower when I am arriving and she leaves the bathroom smelling so nice.   She gave me one of the binders and told me about a support group every other Monday night.
The geneticist said that my sister and daughter were at no higher risk than the general population.   That I do not have a family gene ,so to speak, from my family history. 

Anyway, over all I was impressed with the collaboration of care that was offered.   I felt tired & drained all day. I had a primary presidency meeting later that evening, in which I shared my news.  The primary program is coming up in November and I am disappointed I will be of little use.  The women are all awesome & talented and I look forward to working with them.

 I was so tired and looked forward to bedtime without the aide of Ambien  :  )     

No comments:

Post a Comment