Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday October 18th Good News Day

     Let me start by saying, that I am still uneasy and weirded out by this social media stuff.  I do not have a Facebook account and am not convinced about all this. I think of myself as more private, but my daughters are quite insistent blogging is helpful & needed. I don't want to make a big deal over any of this, when I know others have far worse challenges.  I appreciate my daughters love and concern and time to create this blog (blog, what a weird name).

     Last night we discovered good news, that the tumor, somewhere between 1.4-2 cm depending on what report you read, is High Grade DCIS (ductal carcinoma insitu)  The "in situ" is the good news. The cancer is in its 'shell' and has not penetrated the membrane wall.  "High Grade" means that the cancer cells are very active and multiplying quickly, BUT they are incapsulated.
  
     I met with my surgeon today, who was mostly very re-assuring.  It was helpful  for Jim to have met with him. He feels encouraged.  We were told that normally this would involve a lumpectomy & no chemo, possibly no radiation, if lymph nodes were negative.   In my case, there is also 10 cm of rare microcalcifications found that have a multitude of "stars" in their mists. Due to the "abundance" of the calcifications, the breast cannot be saved.  During surgery they will examine the sentinel lymph node and will do multiple biopsies on the calcifications.  We will have to wait 2-5 days for the biopsy results.   

     This Thursday I will meet with a multidisciplinary cancer team.  My case will be presented to the "tumor board" at 0700.   Then at 0830 I will meet with all those who will be involved in the treatment and care (radiologist, oncologist, nutrionists, genetic counselor, social worker, American Cancer Society, etc.)  I was told that reconstructive work should be possible at the time of the surgery.  I do not have an appt. made yet with a plastic surgeon, but do have one who has agreed to work with me & scheduled the reconstructive surgery at the same time as the mastectomy. 
 
     So Happy Halloween!!!  The "scary tumor" will be removed on Halloween Day.
I feel ok about this date as I have been reassured that the prognosis is looking good and it allows me to get my home life and work somewhat caught up.   



     Thank you so much for the prayers, kind words, and loving cards, posts, and emails!  Your good thoughts and prayers are working!!!!!  I love the power of prayer.  


     Are you suppose to sign off on a blog??? 
  
     Pink Ribbon Family Mom alias V Fred

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. So good to see you guys on Saturday. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to here the news yesterday. Josh and I have been praying for you and your family everyday. You know you are my "favorite aunt"!! I can help with anything so let me know if I am needed. Hoping the good news will keep coming. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I am not sure how you feel about the blog thing but it is helping to keep me sane. I don't know that all things happen for a reason, but I do believe that sometimes, God, the Universe, or whatever you want to call it, prepare you for upcoming challenges and/or events. In my mind, it is nothing short of a miracle that a woman who *never* gets a check up, gets two physicals/checkups, the year that she needs it most. I am greatful for the intricacies of chance in this particular situation. I love you, Mom.
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vikki, I'm so pleased to hear this. My thoughts are with you. You are a remarkable person and I love & respect you very much. We are cheering for you. Lots of love. Now I just need to work on getting you on Delta's pink plane for a special ride. :)
    Cori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the song says-"I'm gonna love you thru it"
    hugs-- Staci

    ReplyDelete