Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Big Day Out Tuesday Nov. 8th

I had two doctor appt.'s today. I was hopeful, maybe we would get some final answers today. No such luck!
Mom and Staci picked me up @ 0900. We went to L&D so I could post the results of an audit & drop off a few thank you cards.

Waited 1 hr. 40 minutes to see Dr. Price. He is nice enough, but running way behind and anxious to being get  out of town again. The nurse gave me some Tylenol, because she said I looked like I was hurting. You think? Pain has been my constant companion now for 7 or 8 days & I don't like pain meds.  Dr. Price said he would call Dr. Linton, the oncologist, to make sure my case is reviewed Thursday morning at the tumor board & that I need to keep the appt. The appt. with Dr. Linton is tomorrow. Dr. Price won't say what he thinks oncology will prescribe, but he thinks I may get out of the radiation. Jim would be happy to hear that!! He told me the HER2 receptor was positive, which is not necessarily good. The progesterone and estrogen receptors came out out negative again so I still don't think I am a candidate for the hormone therapy.

Since it was so late when we left Dr. Price , we ate lunch in the cafeteria. I ran into an old nurse friend that had breast cancer 7 years ago. She shared with me her experience and story and other nurses that have had this journey. Man, it's everywhere.We have an epidemic going on!

I came home and took a nap. Mom and Staci went shopping.

Got up and went to see Dr. Chen, the plastic surgeon, with Jim, mom and Staci. She is always very nice and thorough. She said I had excessive bruising and had a hematoma. My drain is still putting out quite a bit of bloody fluid, so she will not pull it today, since it is helping to drain the hematoma. I am glad it is there, because all that leaking blood inside would be adding to my discomfort. I am very tender, on the upper right quadrant of my 'creature', under my armpit and posterior part of my arm down to my elbow. My nerve endings feel on fire much of the time in this area. Other wise I feel like my 'creature' is a tight band sitting on my chest. I feel like I am engorged with milk on both sides and having a 'let down'. Those sensations are common with breast augmentations though.

The Dr. suggests I massage the area, and keep working my right arm to keep the strength in it. She also will not try to guess what my future plan of care will be. She said if the margins of the invasive carcinoma were on the anterior side they may recommend more skin dissection. She also mentioned another hormonal drug that sounded something like Hermoxifin. If I have radiation she will not do any thing with re-construction until it is all over. The reason for this is to see how much the skin heals and if I have bad adhesions from the radiation & how the cavity for the implant looks. She showed me where the port is located in the breast expanders for my "tank ups". Unfortunately they are under the skin, so sounds like I will be subject to more pokes in my future. I will see her in a week again.

Jim remains confident that I will not need any more intervention than the mastectomy. We all pray he is right.

My mood has been stable all day. I got more Zofran from Dr. Price and I am going to try Tylenol with Codeine for pain now.

I had a totally awesome dinner brought over by Diane and Vee Butterfield. It tasted so good! I luckily had a good appetite that night. I am soooooo surrounded by the greatest neighbors, friends and family.

Thank you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment