Friday, November 11, 2011

November 10th Good News Day< A month of waiting is over!

Feeling sore, but better every day.  Morning is hardest, after lying still all night I am stiff and sore, just like any surgery.
3pm FINALLY arrived.  Jim, Mom, Summer and myself took off for appt. with oncologist.
Upon arrival to the office we were told my appt. had been scheduled for 2:15.  Seriously??
I've been watching the clock all day, slowly ticking away.     I was So glad that I had brought my packet with me that had the time on it, that their staff had written.   In addition, I stated that I had not received a reminder phone call on the 9th or this could have been corrected at that point.    I was firm that I did not want to wait another week for this appt.  After a few minutes of waiting they verified that the staff member that had made my appt. was a "temp" and had made several mistakes.   They agreed to meet with me.   We had to wait over an hour, but it was worth it.   This also allowed sister Staci to finish up her shift and join the clan.

Dr. Litton spent an hour with us.  The visit was to focus on what the 4 invasive biopsies meant for me, not the DCIS.     He wrote 3 pages of diagrams, pictures and notes explaining the biology of cancer, risk factors and treatment options.  He took us on an emotional roller coaster ride, but I enjoyed learning all he was offering.   It was like getting the puzzle pieces to all fit together.

The short version of his visit is the following.There are 4 risk factors they look at when determining treatment

1.  Size of the invasive cancer.
2.  Lymph Node findings
3.  Hormone and HER2 receptor findings
4.  Tumor cell features  ( Grade of the cancer  1-3 )

  My Findings:
1. Low Risk    All 4 of my biopsies were well less than 1 cm.  They are identified as "microinvasive".  He described my situation as the large DCIS mass as a car in the garage idling.   Microinvasion, indicates the car is backing out of the drive way.  "Invasive" cancer is on the street and possibly the free way (systemic ).
2. Low Risk   All 3 of the axilla nodes they pulled were negative.   ( Not on the freeway )
3. High Risk   When looking at these 3 receptor cells, it is best to have positive estrogen and progesterone receptors, mine were negative.   Conversely, it is best to have a negative HER2 receptor, mine was positive
4. High Risk   My microinvasive cancer was a Grade 3, which is fast growing and follows the result of the positive HER2 finding.
 He said that within 2 months, my outcome would have been different.   Once again I am blessed this was discovered so early!

So NOW what?    50/50 on the risk factors!
Fortunately, the top 2 risk factors weigh heavier than the bottom two.  So it tipped the scale in my favor!
Mastectomy is the answer with NO follow up therapy!     I feel so blessed and grateful!
There was an audible sigh of relief in the room.  Jim said, " That's what I've been telling her, I just didn't have any thing to back me up!"  I was never so happy for him to be right!

I have a 15-20% chance of re-occurence in the left breast.  Careful screening will be done.  I meet with Dr. Litton again in 5 months to set this up.

So, I can now focus on my immediate future!  Get the hematoma healed up, drain pulled and schedule appt.'s/surgeries to get the "creature" off my chest and most importantly getting my life back.  Playing with grandkids, shopping, getting ready for Christmas, getting back to work, getting back to church, re-gaining my energy/strength, cooking, actually getting something done on the FMLA leave, like cleaning out drawers, I am dizzy and grateful with the possibilities!  And being a better person!!

No comments:

Post a Comment