Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween 2011

Lots of tricks and treats today.

I started off with several melt downs before leaving for the hospital. Jim was consoling and comforting.  I still don't want to do this and can't believe I am submitting myself to this.

I arrived @ 0900, Summer arrived shortly after, followed by Staci, then mom, then Bruce and Staci.   They told me 2 visitors, but they were good with three, then after my radioactive dye injection they put us in a room with lazy boy chairs to wait it out and let the crowd of support in.   Sis Staci showed up with a PINK fleece breast cancer awareness blanket.   It was very timely, because the room was cold & it was nice to have something soft to snuggle up to.  She said that making the blanket had been healing for her.


You know how it is with hospitals, 'hurry up and wait".  I didn't go for the radio active injection until 1100.  The treat of this part was the hulk/hunk of an orderly that pushed me down the long walk to the Breast Care Center.   They let Jim go along for the experience.  Jim made the comment that my orderly 'has done a few more push ups than him."  This made me laugh.

We were told the surgery was to start at 1245.  Then the nurse casually mentioned a little later that the OR was running behind schedule and it would be a little longer.  At 1330, Summer went out to the desk to find out what a 'little later" meant.  She was told around 1500, but announced the good news was she had been given 6 meal tickets, so they could all go to the cafeteria for some lunch.  Sis Staci stayed behind with me, but it was good to get them all out of the freezing cold room and let them eat and kill some time.

At 1430, the nurse showed up and said they were ready for me.  The family was called back in.
Hulk the Orderly showed up again and he showed the family the waiting room, then he let Jim stay with me.  Dr. Chen came in and marked me up with a pen. She also started reviewing a bunch of my options again, which I was not really ready to hear, or change my mind moments before going to surgery.  My anesthesiologist, Dr. sweet Myers also came in to talk with both of us.   We decided not use Versed, so my mind would be clearer. My right boob had a big "Boo!" on it, instead of the word "yes".  My sister had put a big spider in my hair.   We were trying to 'treat' the OR team.
 

After kissing Jim good-bye I walked into the OR room instead of being wheeled in.  The OR team was surprised and said, "Well look at you, all in charge and everything".  They helped me get comfortable then burned my arm off with the propofol infusion.

Michael Jackson, seriously how could you have liked that stuff?

I am told both surgeries went well.  The axillary lymph nodes were hard to access due to adhesions, but the good news were they were all 3 negative.  The old 23 year old implants came out easily for them.   Dr Chen's work went good as well.   I was only in recovery for a short time, then off to the 10th floor.

Our awesome neighbors made dinner for the family and took over the trick or treating obligations for us.  The grandkids came in for a short visit to show off their costumes, then off to sleep I went,  Yeah right!

I had a LONG sleep less night.  It's really hard for me to sleep in a hospital and also I am not a back sleeper. The pain/discomfort of the surgery didn't help me get settle down either. The nursing staff was great on the night shift. They did their job and didn't allow any sleep time. You have to be a nurse to understand that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment